The Community Education Project works towards social and economic justice by contributing to the development of a capable, informed, and self-determining Latino Community in Holyoke, Massachusetts.
CEP's work is carried out through adult literacy and language education programs as well as through grassroots organizing and action initiatives. We encourage our students and others to:
- Respect human dignity with its rights and responsibilities;
- Live in solidarity with others, aware of our interdependence;
- Seek the well-being of all;
- Value all forms of work and creativity;
- Increase awareness about social and economic inequalities.
"...Literacy instruction is most effective when it involves content that speaks to the needs and social conditions of the learner."
~ Paulo Freire, 1994